Sunday, November 15, 2009

First Novel Update: November 15th: Weekends Are Hard On Progress

First draft word count according to OpenOffice: 80,391. I officially broke the 80,000 word barrier!

Too bad this wasn't a NaNoWriMo novel...

The bad news was that I only managed 909 words today. Yesterday was a bust; I spent an insane amount of time at a really cool book sale in a warehouse (already blogged about it yesterday) and...what else? Oh, yeah, blogging after I got home last night, and spending some time with my son post-shopping while watching his rented Underdog DVD and playing on the Wii and playing with trains and...you get the idea.

So it was a mixed weekend. I don't regret how my Saturday went despite not making progress on the novel. Today I didn't hit my optimistic 1,000 words, but then again my set goal is 500 words a day and I managed to make some headway. Even 100 words is 100 more than was there before.

It seems that my word count tends to go down on weekends. I don't know why exactly other than my routine for the past five days is interrupted and I have less structure on my weekends than the days I slog through my workday.

The important thing is to continue working each day and continue making progress. Tobias Buckell wrote about the issue here on his blog; if you take a significant break on writing a novel, you lose all momentum. You remember less of the events in the story, you lose the workflow, you lose track of things...and you lose the excitement that drives the story forward, and boy oh boy is it a chore to get back into the story when this happens.

In reflection, I was disappointed that I didn't make as much progress as I would have liked to over the weekend, but I am happy that I made some progress. Big or small, progress is the key!

No comments:

Post a Comment