Thursday, November 5, 2009

What's My Audience?

As I write my story I sometimes stop and wonder if the story I'm telling will have appeal, or at least appeal to the audience I intended it to appeal to.

My primary goal is to sit down and get the words to the page, a little each day. Whether it's 500 words or 2,000, I need to get a little further into the story and keep the momentum up. I figure I can smooth the rough spots in rewrite/editing.

Since my primary goal is to get the story advanced a little each day I find I'm more focused on telling my story than fitting it into a specific criteria. The story is more or less, in my evaluation, a modern-day science fiction story. So...sci fi, right?

Maybe. The thing is that I worry my story is too simplistic. Too straightforward, maybe. That leads me to wonder if it isn't Young Adult sci-fi.

Which would be bad. It's pushing 70,000 words now (69,937 at the moment, give or take) and YA novels are in the 50 to 80 thousand word range. Mine will most likely be pushing 100 thousand, give or take.

So what to do? Is it even worth worrying about at this stage?

If I keep second guessing myself I think I'll stutter and lose my momentum or at a minimum lose the story that I'm trying to tell. So I figure the best thing to do is continue with the story and see if the turd at the end is something that can be polished, then worry about how to summarize and pitch and query it.

Unless someone else knows of a better way...that's my course of action. Finish story and worry later. Yeah.

(Does anyone know a good "litmus test" for a story to tell what genre and subgenre it would fit into, like whether this story will be best a sci-fi or YA sci-fi story?)

No comments:

Post a Comment