Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Writing My First Novel

This is more appropriately titled "Writing My First Novel's Manuscript". The odds are stacked way way against being published, so while I think my story is okay, it's still a first effort and I have no illusions that it will be the next Harry Potter.

It would be nice, but I really doubt it would happen.

I figured that seeing as this was supposed to be hints and tips and information about writing, I should probably post some updates once in awhile to what I'm working on. My first manuscript is currently listing in OpenOffice as having 68,918 words and no it's not finished.

The story is a current day science fiction story. My goal is to have at least 500 words a day added to the first draft; my typical word count average has been over 1,000 words a day, so I've been happy with that progress. Some days are worse; I've had times where I was so tired I added a couple hundred words and fell asleep. Other days were fantastic. Today, for example, I added 2,599 words so far, and am contemplating hiding in the bedroom with the laptop to see if I could pound out a few more words and get a little further on the story arc.

It will still need heavy editing, of course. And parts will probably benefit from a rewrite. The way I figure it, the hardest part is actually getting the story down so I'd have something to edit.

Hopefully the finished product will be good enough to polish. The only way to tell is to finish it and start editing, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment