Friday, June 19, 2009

The Writing Show Entry Update 1

Well, I said that I'd be trying to create an entry of some kind for the contest being held on The Writing Show's website for the Halloween holiday.

The story can be up to 5000 words...given the industry estimates of 250 words per page, that's a 20 page story. There's no way I could reasonably do that before Monday, but the goal is to write a story with a Halloween theme, not necessarily fill 20 pages just to fill 20 pages.

I spent some time last night at the keyboard trying to come up with a good start of a story. I spent a bit of time staring into space mulling over concepts, none of which seemed particularly scary and then having a few false starts before completing two pages of an opening.

My wife thought it could use some punching up. I don't disagree. But I figure I can worry about that later, if more of the story takes shape. I guess I can sit and polish the opening for days and not feel that it's good enough...but at some point I need to still actually have a story to edit.

So to that end I will worry about altering the opening later. I need to get some meat onto the skeleton now. Will I hit my goal of having a story ready by Monday? Maybe not. But I'm going to try...

No comments:

Post a Comment