Tuesday, July 28, 2009

And The Second Story Rides Again

I slacked last week on writing that second entry for The Writing Show contest. I admit it...I spent the time I normally set aside for writing instead on watching Torchwood and Doctor Who specials. Torchwood: Children of Earth was a five-parter on consecutive nights and Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead was Sunday night. Torchwood rocks...despite the twist and that I wanted to punch Davies in the face for the cliffhanger...and Doctor Who could have been better but I loved the flying stingray creatures. Both of these are supposed to be setups for continuing storylines (sniff...no more Tennant?...)

Anyway, my last entry said that I had 2,971 words in my work-in-progress. My current word count is 3,883, so I managed to add 912 words tonight while also making it a palindromic number. Cool beans! (Ever wonder why the word for a palindrome isn't one?)

I'm not too worried at this point because I already figured I'm cutting a large chunk out (the rules are that this has to be less than 5,000 words). I have actually been thinking of incorporating this into a larger storyline that's swimming around in my head, so if I can properly sculpt this into something that isn't necessarily a polished turd (actually, after watching that episode of Mythbusters...it might be a good goal to make a polished turd. They're kind of neat) I might try incorporating it into a larger storyline. The big if is whether or not I can make this into a story that might be appropriate as a short story with a Halloween theme. I also need to figure out if, when writing a parenthetical, does the period go inside the parentheses or outside? I favor the outside because it just looks right to me...but I don't know.

Anyway, I'm aiming to get the rough draft done this week so I can beg my wife to help with editing it next week. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment