Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Writing Contest Entry Two

I began a second story for The Writing Show's Halloween Story Contest. I started piecemealing it together a previous day but had a block of time while waiting in line for a certain movie late last night to sit and type for a bit*; my current word count according to OpenOffice is 1,262 words.

I'm kind of disappointed at how it's shaping up. My story is not diving into the action the way I hoped it would; evaluating what I was working with, I decided the best thing to do was to keep on the course I plotted and later during editing chop it (or reshape the opening after chopping) so that once the story does kick into gear I can get a good feel for where the opening action sequence should be placed.

Why?

Because if I didn't, I'd end up with the trap of scrapping the story and starting over ad infinitum, essentially never getting anywhere with the story. In reviewing the little movie in my head I thought that maybe there was a nugget of story in the mix worth trying to save and I wanted to try to get that out there before paring it down to the short story required by the contest (although to be fair a slow beginning is a sin in writing any story; in this regard, the story would need a massive bit of beginning work no matter the format).

So I'm working on it. I'll try sneaking in more work on it here and there and see what can be done. I can only submit two entries to the contest and I already submitted the first one so I'd like to try coming up with a nice second story to submit; I have until the end of August for the deadline but I'd like to get this one in by the end of July.

* I said I was out late waiting for a particular movie to start while working on my story entry. I'd blog a review...but there's really no reason. There's going to be so much back and forth with rabid fans and miscreants blathering non-opinions just to rule up the rabid fans that my opinion isn't really worth anything in the back and forth; anything I'd say would essentially be a "me too" so someone else's review, so in a rare moment of restraint I'll refrain from adding to this battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment