Friday, August 14, 2009

Writing Show Entry Two Update for August 14th

I didn't write too much about this because it was late last night when I finally crawled off to bed, but my story reached over 5,000 words. It was near the 5200 mark, actually, and I printed it out...22 pages...and handed it over to my in-house editor for critique/alterations/editing/checking/general suggestions.

I personally didn't think it was all that great. If it is a decent story it's probably in need of a few coats of paint and really big dose of polish, but the primary goal for me was to sit down and just do it; it is an entry, I managed to get a small story out, and I completed what I started. My work in this case is to short stories what Nanowrimo...national novel writing month, in case you didn't know...is to published novels.

I should be careful saying that though. Some people have gone on from Nanowrimo entries to be published. Keeping that in mind would get my hopes up.

At any rate, the story is in the hands of my wife to get the first round of cutting and pasting. After she gives several rough chops I'll go back through it and we'll work on paring it into something that would be decent enough to email to Paula B. for the contest. Hopefully it'll be in her hands by the middle of next week.

If you do visit the Writing Show website, you should also check out the tribute being assembled for screenwriter/author Blake Snyder; he passed away of a pulmonary embolism on August 4th. His Save the Cat! series was great for aspiring screenwriters and his talent as a mentor preceded him in the industry. He'll be sorely missed.

That's where things stand on the second story. I've been negligent in maintaining the blog while I worked for periods of time on the story, but most wouldn't have noticed (even though my audience consists of maybe three people)...I had already queued a large number of blog entries to keep on my minimum-one-posting-a-day regiment. The only thing that really suffered was my replying to comments.

I read them, of course, but I didn't take the time to reply. Please don't be too offended if I didn't reply to a comment that you wanted a reply to...I was just working on the story instead of the blogging.

Until there's more to report I'll be flitting off for a bit. Well, not entirely. I've got a small backlog of topics to add to the blog queue. So until next time, here's a tip-o-the-hat to you all...have a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment